Valorizing the Montenegrin Katuns through sustainable development of agriculture and tourism – KATUN
INVO HERIC No: 01-646
Duration: April 2015 – March 2017.
Total project value: 334 827 €
Grant amount: 315 000 €
The main idea of the project is to create a knowledge base for a multipurpose use of the Montenegrin mountain resources, by combining the traditional agriculture with boosting tourism activities and protecting the cultural heritage of katuns (temporary settlements in mountainous regions where the agricultural households stay with livestock during the summer season).
The katuns are a unique social-cultural resource of Montenegro that should be preserved and revitalized via implementing new activities to enable them to become distinctive and attractive tourism destinations.
Two distinct areas with recognizable type of katuns were chosen: Kuči Mountains and wider Durmitor area, both characterized by high diversity in landscapes, biodiversity, resources available for agricultural production, different type of dairy products and richness in cultural-historical heritage, architecture etc.
The main objective of KATUN is to provide knowledge bases for sustainability of the mountain agriculture and to enhance its competitiveness and boost the agro-tourism at the katuns,
The detailed objectives are:
- transfer of knowledge and innovations to the agriculture and agro-tourism enabling them to be more competitive,
- generate entrepreneurship in the mountainous livestock production;
- achieve a new level of sustainable cultural heritage protection and its incorporation in modern agricultural and tourism tendencies;
- demonstrate interdisciplinary and multidisciplinary research approach by intensive collaborations of the Montenegrin research entities with industry and international partners
The outcomes of KATUN project will be:
- Different forms of knowledge transfer and new farming practice
- New dairy products
- New types of tourism offer
- Valuable data on cultural-historical heritage for the first time
- Two master thesis and several scientific papers
- Different publications (monography, user-friendly manuals and brochures for the producers etc)
- Strong partnership and networking of the farmers (producer clusters and producer organisations)
Starting from the katuns’ richness and importance in historical and cultural heritage, the project will be a perfect case study for holistic approach to sustainable development of Montenegrin mountain areas.
The project activities will be focused on:
- Analysing of the current status of the production activities at katuns, with identification of the main weaknesses and opportunities;
- Knowledge transfer to the farmers and companies with aim to improve production practices and technologies and increase production;
- Investigation of quality of traditional dairy products (Kučki cheese, Durmitor skorup, and law-fat cheese Prljo) for the purpose of protection their designation of origin (PDO);
- Implementation of new technologies of livestock rearing and creation of new dairy products (different types of cheese);
- Support producers to establish producers associations, as well as for diversification of economic activities at katuns;
- Study of forest and biodiversity, vvalorization of the non-wood forest products (wild edible mushroom, berries, medical and aromatic herbs) and arising awareness of rural society
- Inventory of the katuns on the Mountains of Kuči, their characterization and cadastre, historical-social background and to estimate their cultural-historical value;
- Development of different tourism activities at the katuns.